Sola Scriptura | Scripture Alone Is Our Infallible Rule Of Faith And Practice
“All Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
This, of course, is not the only place where Scripture proclaims its quality. But it will be our guiding text for this page. Here the Apostle Paul is forwarding the Old Testament understanding of Scripture to include the New Testament.
Scripture begins with the writings of Moses. Immediately it is understood to have that quality described in 2 Timothy 3:16-17.
The Source of Scripture
Our text begins by confirming the source. Scripture is not a human product. It originates in God. It is Theopneustos, God-breathed. Meaning that its source is God. Also clarifying that man is not the source of Scripture.
The significance of this begins with the quality of the Author. It’s normal for us to attribute the quality of a book to its author. Perhaps we have joyfully experienced the quality of an author. We will then look with expectation for more of the same.
This is why publishing companies solicit certain authors to write for them. And also why they pay such authors handsome royalties on new book contracts. And that’s even before they’ve written a word.
The Quality of Scripture
The quality of Scripture proceeds from and reveals, the quality of God. Who and what God is, determines what Scripture is.
When we confirm that Scripture is without error, we are confirming that God is without error. When we confirm that Scripture cannot fail, we’re confirming that God cannot fail.
Scripture cannot error. This conclusion proceeds necessarily from the revealed qualities of its Author.
Scripture Will Never:
- deviate from righteousness in the behavior it requires or recommends;
- violate holiness nor moral rectitude in its social conventions;
- entice licentious passions of the flesh; (2 Peter 2:18-19)
- unintentionally deviate from truth or accuracy;
- make a mistake in perception, reasoning, recollection nor expression;
- evidence ignorance, deficiency, or accidental departure from accomplishing its purpose;
- make a mistake, in fact, judgment, conviction, nor condemnation;
- call for proclaiming or believing that which is not true;
- make a mistake in its system of doctrine;
- confirm a system of false beliefs, by intent or mistake;
Scripture, being God’s own Word, was written by men who were prepared and superintended by the Holy Spirit. These men are not responsible for its quality nor content. Our Bible is of infallible divine authority in all matters upon which it touches.
It is to be:
- believed as God’s instruction in all that it affirms.
- obeyed as God’s command in all that it requires.
- embraced as God’s pledge in all that it promises.
Enjoy your Bible every day. Receive its blessing continually. Proclaim its quality everywhere. Let the Bible customize your life according to the blessing of the Lord.
Continue in His Blessing!